Master’s in Business Law
23 აპრილი 2018
Master’s in Business Law
121 ECTS Business Law – General Curriculum
120 ECTS Business Law - Concentration in Tax Law
Language of Instruction:
Objectives of the Programme:
The aim of the program is to prepare lawyers who will be able to make right legal decisions in the context of a rapidly changing and complex legal environment; who will possess the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills for successful business transactions.
The programme is based on the needs of a business lawyer and is designed for persons who are planning a career in business law.
The programme will provide students with analytical and leadership skills, which will enable them to effectively react to the challenges of the Business Law sphere.
Master’s in Business Law Programme is based on a comprehensive and interdisciplinary study of legal problems that involves three levels of study:
- At the first level of study, the student will acquire knowledge of the basic transactions in Business Law based on the existing scientific knowledge and critical analysis of the court practice. The student will learn: topical problems of Liability and Contractual Laws; the full cycle of establishing, managing, reorganising and liquidating the companies and entrepreneurial and tax problems associated with it; drafting and closing of international business transactions.; the graduate will be aware of the obligatory, contractual law's topical problems, studying the full cycle of establishing, managing, reorganising and liquidating the companies and entrepreneurial and tax problems associated with it, and drafting and closing of international business transactions.
- The knowledge acquired on the first level of study of the master's programme will serve as the base for development of the general and specific skills necessary for the practical transactions (second level of study) of the business law. On the second level of study, the student will learn the process of business transactions by means of studying complex transactions of business law practised in Georgia.
- After acquiring practical knowledge student will start the third level of study, during which the student will independently (within the working group) make legal arrangement of complex business transactions. Based on the analytical skills and broad knowledge gained during the Programme, the student will prepare Master Thesis on the actual problems of Business Law. Students will also undergo practicum in law (6 ECTS - 6 * 25 hours).
Upon completion of the Master Programme, including all three levels of study courses, the student will be fit for the legal service of the business law transactions, on the local, as well as on the international level.
After completion of Master Programme, students will be able to start the career in the local legal companies, in the local representative offices of international legal companies, in the organizations in public sector, in the legal department of Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development, in the economic and legal departments of the self-government bodies organizations, in the legal department of Ministry of Finance. Graduates will be able to also work as lawyers in any large or medium sized companies, as well as to establish their own legal companies and start independent legal practice.
Within the programme, students are able to select the following concentration:
- Tax Law
The concentration within the Master Programme will equip the students with additional qualification of the Tax Law, which will expand the possibility of their employment in the financial institutions, in international and local audit companies and private arbitrage.
Knowledge and Understanding:
Graduates of the Programme will have a deep and systematic knowledge of the field that will enable them to form new creative ideas and find solutions to problems. In particular, graduates will have deep and systematic knowledge of Business Law, which will enable to:
- define problems related to local and international business transactions;
- provide consultations on taxation of business transactions;
- find solutions to any legal issue arisen during the business transactions.
Applying Knowledge to Practice:
Graduate will be able to act in a new, changing and multidisciplinary environment; explore for new and original ways to solve complex problems, including independent research using the most modern methods and approaches. Namely graduates will have ability to:
- act independently and find appropriate methods to solve any legal issue;
- conduct independent research of issues related to the Business Law and use the findings during the process of business transactions;
- define legal problems structurally and reasonably;
- apply norms of procedural law in the practice effectively;
- negotiate and conclude the deals;
- apply theoretical knowledge to practice.
Ability to Make Conclusion:
Graduates will be able to make grounded conclusions based on critical analyses of complex and incomplete information (included recent research), and make an innovative synthesis, based on the recent information. In particular, the graduate will have the following abilities:
- deep analysis, synthesis, and evaluation of problems related to the Business Law;
- abstract thinking;
- making independent decisions in the complex situations;
- critical thinking;
- analyses and prevention of legal risks in business transactions.
Graduates will be able to prepare detailed written reports on ideas, problems and their solutions, communicate information with specialists and non-specialists in Georgian and English languages. Graduates will also be able to use modern information and communication technologies. Namely, the graduate will have the following abilities:
- academic writing and communication in native language;
- academic writing and communication in a foreign language (English);
- adapting quickly and acting professionally in an unfamiliar environment;
- use of modern information and communication technologies during the working process.
Ability to Learn:
Graduates will be able to conduct the learning process independently, understand the specific features of learning process and make good strategic plans. In particular, graduates will have the ability to:
- research/analyse/use information related to the law
- use original source of information of any complexity;
- acquire new knowledge based on the normative sources, national and international court decisions, Georgian and international scientific articles;
- find an innovative and creative approach to the complex legal problems and issues;
- plan, conduct and monitor independently the studying, teaching and research processes.
Graduates of the programme will be able to evaluate values and contribute to the establishment of new values. In particular, the graduate will have:
- ability to appreciate differences and cultural diversity;
- ability to comply with the ethical norms while conducting the research;
- ability to create new values based on the autonomy of the individual, individual freedom and state interests;
- knowledge of the basic principles of the professional responsibility and professional ethics.
Curriculum of the programme