Master’s in Social Sciences
26 აპრილი 2018
School of Social Sciences
Master Programme in Social Sciences
Master’s in Social Sciences
Language of Instruction:
Concept of the Programme:
Master’s Program in Social Sciences at Free University of Tbilisi is the second level of Higher Education. The programme is focused on teaching and research, in compliance with European 2020 strategy for the modernization of Higher Education.
The curriculum of the programme is designed in a way that enables students to conduct their education process in accordance with their individual interests. The large part of the programme is devoted to individual work, which students perform under the instructions of a scientific supervisor.
The teaching component of the programme provides students with adequate methodological background and with tools to conduct the research on a high level. At the same time, Master Programme in Social Sciences is oriented on the development of necessary general skills of students, which on one hand are important for continuing scientific work on the doctoral level, and on the other hand, are important for a successful career on the modern labour market.
Objectives of the Programme:
The goal of the Master Programme in Social Sciences is to:
- provide students with the solid and systematic knowledge in social sciences;
- initiate high-quality research on master’s level, which will have the potential to get on the higher level or to expand the scale;
- prepare high-level graduates in social sciences, who will be able to continue research on leading doctoral programs and/or work successfully in the jobs market.
In order to achieve goals, the Master Programme:
- helps the students to select the supervisor and organize the research;
- provides with the appropriate methodological and theoretical knowledge for conducting the research on the high level;
- creates environment for efficient performance (working space, computer hardware, library, electronic library, international connections.)
The aim of the Free University of Tbilisi on all levels of education, including the master level, is to create the environment for teaching, studying and research which will be the best in Georgia and which will be available for the outstanding youth.
Upon completion of the Master Programme in Social Sciences graduates will be able to work as researcher in private and public projects; work for non-governmental organizations; work as a consultant in private and public organizations.
Graduates will have general and specific competencies listed below:
Knowledge and Understanding:
Graduates of the programme will have a deep and systematic knowledge of the field which enables to generate new ideas, acknowledge problem solution ways, in particular the graduate will have:
- have deep and systematic knowledge of different political systems;
- knowledge of the political system of the middle and far east countries;
- knowledge of western political culture and history;
- knowledge of teaching methods in comparative politics;
- fundamental knowledge of the idea and foundations of constitutionalism;
- knowledge of modern political theories;
- knowledge of international relations theory.
Applying Knowledge to Practice:
Graduates will be able to act in a new, unforeseen and multidisciplinary environment; search for new and original ways of solving complex problems, including independent research using the latest methods and approaches. In particular, the graduate will be able to:
- conduct theoretical/qualitative research in comparative politics, using modern methods and approaches;
- act in in a new, unpredictable and multidisciplinary environment;
- analyse theory and practice of comparative politics, provide consultations on how to apply and use theory and research in practice;
- conduct research of different political systems;
- search for new, original ways of solving problems of comparative politics.
Ability to Make Conclusion:
Graduates will be able to make grounded conclusions bases on the critical analysis based on complex and on incomplete information (including recent researches); make an innovative synthesis based on the recent data.
Graduates will be able to communicate own conclusions, arguments and research methods with the academic and professional staff on Georgian and English languages and will be able to use modern information and communication technologies.
Ability to Learn:
Graduates will be able to search, analyse and use the information, conduct the learning process independently, to understand characteristics of the learning process and to craft own strategic plan.
Graduates will know principles of professional responsibility and professional ethical norms. S/he will be able to assess the values and contribute to the establishment of new values.